11.16.2009

bucky love...and love for my grandparents....




we had a wonderful weekend together! it was one of my favorite weekends of this fall. we had so much fun with dad and uncle mike - and had a blast at the football game!

on saturday morning, we met up with my uncles at the avenue bar in madison - it's a really cool place - lots of character! nate was immediately harassed when one of the old men (drinking at 9 am belly up at the bar) found out he was an OHIO STATE fan! (yes - nate snuck his Ohio State t-shirt into the Badger weekend...he layered it under his clothes though...so it wasn't too bad...but still, he had to sneak it in to a Badger football weekend!). anyway, this old guy started shouting to EVERYONE, "LOOK at this! we have an OHIO STATE FAN in here!!!!!!!!....AHHHAHHAHAHAHA!!!!" he continued to repeat himself over & over to anyone who would listen (he told all the bartenders, and EVERYONE around). it was pretty funny!!!!!!! anyway, while at the avenue bar, we got to see a photo of my grandpa up on the wall - I never knew it was there. it's a pretty sweet photo. we took a picture of it on our iphones - not the greatest photo (of a photo) but you can see its a pretty sweet picture of grandpa miller! i was a proud granddaughter!

the game was so much fun - we had a great time cheering on the badgers with my dad. i was in heaven!!!! i absolutely love badger football games!!! it was so much fun watching them beat michigan - and listening to the crowd cheer - and hearing the band play - and watching 'jump around' (nate was a little freaked out because the stadium actually MOVES when everyone jumps...).

we also saw the CUTEST CUTEST CUTEST proposal at the game - the marching band tuba players marched around the entire stadium with each tuba player's instrument displaying a letter - (together, they all spelled out 'marry me?' in big red & white letters displayed on their tubas) - then they finally made it to the student section, stopped in front of the rest of the band (the girl being proposed to was in the band....) & then the guy proposed! it was adorable!!!!!!!!!! the student section started chanting 'she said yes! she said yes!' - it was super super creative & cute. so fun to watch!

it was a fantastic day for football! oh! and we bought our little baby cartwright her first Bucky gift - I'll have to post a picture of it, because it's AWESOME!!!! we got her this really round-tubby-looking Bucky stuffed animal - it's so so so funny & cute! she's going to love being a Badger-girl like her mom - always cheering against those goofy buckeyes!!!!!!!

nate and I spent the night with my grandparents on saturday night - it was so enjoyable to spend time with them. sadly I haven't been able to make it over to their house since my grandma started her chemo (she's almost done now!!!) - so I was really, really looking forward to spending time with them. I'm really lucky to have amazing grandparents - I really admire them. They are such neat people!! I really really admire my grandma - she's the mother of 6 children (within 6 years of each other!) and she's an amazing wife to my grandpa. She always has such a delightful attitude - and a positive outlook on life. I have always had such an admiration of their marriage & their commitment to their family. they truly are incredible people- so humble and generous and happy together- all qualities that I hope to strengthen in my own life. we had such a great time catching up with them - just the 4 of us!! it was a really special time for me to spend with my husband who I adore & 2 people who I absolutely admire. grandpa shared some really great stories from when he played football for the badgers - and grandma was her sweet, fun self, making us dinner - and pie - and showing us all her sewing projects (she knits a TON of mittens & booties for the whole family every year...and makes doll clothes to donate to children...and makes even more mittens to donate to children!!!!).

if you can't tell - it was one of my absolute favorite weekends I've had in a very, very long time! great memories!!

2 comments:

Peter or Cindy said...

Great weekend. Wish we were moving into a luxury box at Camp Randall rather than our new home...but, we all have to settle for things. Glad you could make the trip!

Dad

Libby said...

That looks like it was such a great weekend! Can't wait to see you guys!