10.07.2012

twin cities marathon - I am so grateful.

I ran my 6th marathon this morning....the Twin Cities Marathon!! This was my favorite marathon experience yet - absolutely amazing. It was incredible. Incredible!!!!! I loved, loved, loved every moment of it. I was beyond happy. My heart was so full, and I was so grateful (I am so grateful). I smiled so much throughout the race. The course was beautiful - packed with spectators from start to finish. It was a chilly fall day (it was 28 degrees at the start...maybe 45 degrees at the finish!), but I kept warm, loving the experience - and I loved the brisk fall weather. Something about the chill in the air makes me feel so alive. My heart was full from the start of the race, listening to the National Anthem in the early morning sun, surrounded by thousands of runners, looking up at the Minneapolis skyline directly above us. As we wound through downtown Minneapolis at the start of the race, I felt such gratitude to be able to participate in this experience. My favorite moments of the course were running past the Basilica (downtown Minneapolis), listening to the church bells ringing (amazing!!!! so beautiful!!), winding through Lake of the Isles (Lake Calhoun, Lake Harriet...the Lake Harriet Rose garden...of course reminded me of our wedding!!!), running through the spectator-packed streets of Minnehaha Parkway (packed with people...I high-fived everyone I could!!!! such a special feeling to high-five little kids along the course!!). I loved the second half of the race too - running along the East/West River Parkways (along the Mississippi River) - beautiful!! The fall colors were incredible, and it was an amazingly scenic part of the marathon. As I crossed the bridge from Minneapolis into St. Paul, I felt such a surge of gratitude. I knew the end was in sight...and I knew I had run so far already. The St. Paul part of the course is incredible. So beautiful!! The final stretch of the marathon was beyond what I expected. I had pictured the finish line so many times in my mind as I trained for this marathon (pretending that stoplights on my runs were the finish line with the giant American flag on the final stretch...). The finish line experience was unreal. So amazing. I was in heaven!!!!! Running from mile 25 to 26.2 was incredible. Seeing the finish line ahead was so powerful...and running under the American flag brought tears to my eyes. I had just seen my family by the St Paul Cathedral (instant tears!), and I was running towards the capitol. Unreal. Tears streamed down my face. I finished! I cannot even explain the gratitude in my heart. It was an amazing, amazing experience. I felt so blessed, and so loved. 

The marathon experience as a whole was so wonderful - being surrounded by such determination & so many amazing athletes....but the best part of the race was seeing my beautiful family. I felt so grateful to see my dad at the start of the race and at Lake Calhoun...and then mile 14 was the greatest!! Running up and seeing Adelie, Kennedi, Nate, Alyssa, and my dad was wonderful. I loved seeing them along the course (they made it to miles 14, 17, and 21!!). It was the best feeling ever. It was also great seeing my mom, Aunt Susan, cousins, Stephanie & Matt. 

I am so grateful for my daughters. I feel so blessed to be their mom. Nothing in the world compares to the gratitude & joy my heart feels for them. And I am so blessed to have an amazing husband who supported me throughout this entire marathon experience. He was so selfless in letting me go on all those training runs!! I am so grateful. So grateful. Thank you for all the emails, texts, phone calls, cards!!!, and love I felt. I felt so loved today. So loved. It's a special feeling to feel extreme love and incredible gratitude, and run 26.2 miles all in one morning. I love my life. Thank you to everyone who made me feel so special. I am teared up now as I recall how special today was. It will remain one of my favorite days of my life.

6 comments:

NC said...

She Rocked the House!!!

Jenny said...

LEANNA!!! You're amazing and these pictures are awesome!! Love the girls' shirts and signs, the happy smiles on everyone's faces. You should feel the love because you are very loved! Good work, girl!

Peter and Cindy said...

"Where's mommmy going?" Adelie said that everytime Leanna stopped to greet us--and then continued on her way. I am sure Adelie was happy to get to the finish line so that mommy didn't have to do any more running! Otherwise, Leanna did great! She looked strong all along the course--I suspect her legs were burning much more than she was admitting--but she really ran a strong race! Great job! It turned out to be a beautiful fall day. So happy that Leanna was able to enjoy the race day celebration. It's the most exciting race venue (in terms of croud support and energy) that I've seen! We're all proud of you! dad

Heather said...

Lelers!!! You look amazing!!! Seriously such big smiles, gorgeous fall brisk day. I am amazed by your great attitude, always! These photos are so cute. I love my nieces! I miss you guys!! We think of you guys every day! Way to go Leanna! So inspiring, as usual! My favorite is the one with you and Kennedi. Could that be any cuter? Most photogenic runner I know!

Libby said...

Two amazing posts. Leanna, you have this gift for loving life and making others want to love it as much as you do! Your happiness and love and gratitude are infectious. So amazed by you - congrats on the marathon. I love your little family so much, miss you guys!

Ryan said...

Great job! The girls looked like they had a good time. A very well-coordinated running outfit, too! Congratulations on finishing another marathon!